Learn how to import your contacts from Salesforce CRM into Google Sheets to send a mail merge with Gmail from your spreadsheet.
Method 1: Use Data connector for Salesforce (Google add-on)
On July 24, 2018, Google released a new add-on for Google Sheets to connect with Salesforce. Follow our instructions below to know how to import your contacts from Salesforce into a Google Sheet using this add-on.
1. Install Data connector for Salesforce
Search for ‘Data connector for Salesforce’ on your Google Sheets add-on store, or click the button below to install the add-on from the Chrome Web Store:
When you click on '+ Free' to install, a spreadsheet will open with a pop-up. Click 'Continue':
Select your Google account, then click 'Allow' to accept the authorizations:
2. Connect your Salesforce account with Data connector
Form your spreadsheet, go to Add-ons > G-Connector for Salesforce > Login to Production:
A new pop-up will open. Select the Salesforce environment you want to login to ('Production' by default), then click 'Authorize':
Once done, a confirmation message will open in a new tab. You can close it:
3. Import contacts from Salesforce
Go back to your spreadsheet. A new sidebar is automatically displayed.
To import contacts, you can either choose 'Reports' (if you have existing reports in Salesforce) or 'Import' (if you want to use a custom query).
In our example, we will select ‘Reports’, as we already created some previously in our Salesforce account:
Select the source report (with the contact list you want to import), choose the destination sheet, then click ‘Get data’ (and 'Replace' if necessary):
Method 2: Import a .csv file in your spreadsheet
1. Log into Salesforce
Click the button below to login to Salesforce and access your dashboard:
2. Create a report with your contact list
Once logged, click 'Report' > 'New Report' at the top right corner of the page:
Under 'Select Report Type', click 'Accounts and Contacts' > 'Contacts and Accounts' > 'Create':
Clear the 'From' date field so there is no date restriction, and click 'Save':
Then write the name of your report on the 'Save Report' pop-up and save it:
Once done, the 'Run Report' button appears. Click 'Run Report':
3. Export your report into a .csv file
Click on the arrow at the top right hand side. Then, click 'Export':
Under 'Format', choose 'Comma Delimited .csv'. Then, click 'Export' to save it in your computer:
4. Import your .csv file into a Google Sheet
Open your spreadsheet, then click 'File' > 'Import':
Click 'Upload' > 'Select the file from your computer'. Then select your CSV file:
Complete the details on the following pop-up:
In our example:
- We decided to select 'Replace spreadsheet' but you can choose another location.
- Data from our .csv file is separated with semicolons, that's why we entered ';' as a separator. However you can also select 'Detect automatically' and check how your data is formatted in your Google Sheets.
- We selected left ‘Yes’ by default on 'Convert text numbers and dates'.
Finally, click 'Import data'.